Sunday, June 7, 2009

French Collisions





This has been quite a busy weekend, for me and my friends across the big blue sea as well. On Friday we had dinner with Joey's family (guy in my class who's American; I dunno if you remember me mentioning him earlier) at their house, which was cool. We had actually been to their house before at a birthday party for another CERN person- Steve Goldfarb's band The Canettes played. They have a big lawn and a stream flowing right around their well-sized house. We talked about CERN people, the eccentricity of certain physicists, the economy, Barack Obama, human tendencies, and other cool stuff. It actually really got me thinking at the end, and I was planning on doing some big blog post about all my thinkings. Maybe later.

Then yesterday, after much delay and me procrastinating on the computer, we went to a nearby medieval festival. To sum it up in one, over-used and expected word, it was awesome. French accents, people dressed up as knights and monks and fair maidens, music, horses, creepy peasants, food, etc.... it started pouring after about half an hour, and of course we didn't have an umbrella. I couldn't understand my family though- I voted we just walk through it, because it's going to let up in a bit, but then we can be drying off at our destination. But no, we had to stay there, for "five minutes" to wait for nature to be nice. Eventually it did end, and was a pretty nice day the rest of the time.

We passed through la forĂȘt enchantĂ©e (enchanted forest) and saw a cool magician, group of flutists that played with a story involving some French kid and playing a flute and some sheep or something, watched some horse-riding stuff, this awesome parade, had roast chicken for dinner, passed by knights and whatnot and of course watched the jousting. They had some fancy shops open, selling real and wooden swords, robes, helmets, etc. It was all rather expensive.

They had quite an elaborate set up, with tents and stuff and stuff. Personally, I think medieval festivals are one of those best things ever in life. I'd like to volunteer in one sometime. It also got me inspired to make a medieval-based movie with my friends. Not the first person to think of this idea, I know. But it'd just be fun.

I really only have 3 weeks left. That is seriously nothing. 24 days today. I need to practice my trumpet, finish up my homework, and maybe work on some filming. Probably all too soon I'll have to pack and saying my goodbyes to this fine country, eh?

Today the computer finally decided it had had enough of my overflowing photos, so I decided to finally back them up on discs. It's fairly simple business, but I guess I get a little nervous about losing it all.

Some of the pictures didn't turn out so well because the stupid rain had to mess up my lens. Which was annoying. But I guess it still looks alright. At a certain point I was using two cameras-my mom's was good for action, fast-moving shots, but mine was better for long-distance shots. I stretched my battery life to it's very limit. But it was an awesome day.

No comments: